Have I told you how much I love the bulk section at WinCo? Well I really love it. Items are often cheaper by weight than packaged items and you can buy as little or as much as you want. You can purchase a 25lb bag of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for $15.00 or just a few of cups as I did today for $0.86. They carry many organic items like rice and cereal. They have lots of whole grain items and different kinds of flour. They always list the ingredients and other nutrition information. They tell you how to prepare items and even have recipe cards around the section. Some people are a bit un-nerved at the fact that the bins are open to the world and anybody could have put anything in them. Or that since the bins are open the items may not be as fresh as packaged items. In regard to the freshness, the shire volume they go through all but basically garanties the items were put in the bin in the last day or two. And in regard to other concerns, well I don’t know what to tell you, but I’m not really concerned about it and if I was I would just ask for the 25lb unopend bag of flour rather than getting a few cups each week. All that to say, if you have not ventured into your WinCo bulk section, you really should. It’s a great way to save money and try new things.
I had a successful shopping trip this morning, and was able to get a few good coupon deals at WinCo. I wash I had purchased yogurt last week when it was $1.98 for 32oz instead of $2.63, but it is what it is. Here are the deals I got:
- Mt High Plain Yogurt $2.63 for 32oz. I used $1.00 off 2 coupon making them $2.13 each (peal off coupon)
- dozen eggs (not organic) $1.48 each. I used $0.55 off 2 coupon making them $1.20 each (Smartsource online)
- Marzetti Simply Dressed salad dressing for $3.48. I used $1.00 1 coupon making it $2.48 (smartsource online)
- Van’s whole wheat waffels for $2.68. I used a $1.00 off 1 coupon making them $1.68 (Van’s email offer)
I will be cooking bulgar for the first time this week to make vegetarian cabbage rolls. I know it sounds silly, but I’m excited to try it. I only needed a half a cup so I got it in the …you guessed it…bulk section for just $0.25. Here is my menu for the week:
- Indian, two different dishes. one mixed veg curry and one baby dahl with homemade whole wheat naan
- Burgers and bakes suite potato fries
- Thai “fried” brown rice
- Baked Potatoes and chili
- Spinach fritata (which turned into spinach omelettes tonight)
- Vegetarian cabage rolls
- Pasta with kale and peppers
I also found some good coupons on the web today. I will let you know about them in the next day or two.